(Bachelor of Arts Degree)
The Political Science program enables students to gain a comprehensive understanding of the principles, processes, and structures of power and authority through richly interactive classroom learning, research, and real-world experiences. The program focuses on the development of knowledge and skills that are highly valuable for the globalized world with an in-depth study of authority, diversity, leadership, conflict resolution, and collective mobilization.
This mission fits with Utica University’s mission of educating students for rewarding careers, responsible citizenship, enlightened leadership, and integrating liberal and professional study. The department’s values reflect the university’s values, particularly in regard to:
- Individual attention for our students
- Pragmatic approaches to teaching and learning
- Continual improvement in our educational and operational quality
- Diversity of perspective, background, and experience in an increasingly global society
- Community and professional service
- Ethical behavior and integrity in all that we do
- Freedom of expression and the open sharing of ideas and creativity
- Open, honest, and collegial communication
- The well-being of others
Total credit hours required for degree: 120
Students who complete the B.A. will
- Explain key concepts in the major subfields within political science.
- Analyze systems of power within political settings.
- Evaluate the importance of public service and civic responsibility.