Dec 02, 2023
The Sports Management major prepares graduates for a variety of careers in the growing field of sports and recreation by teaching them to apply business principles and practices to the operation of athletic facilities, events and organizations. Students develop the ability to make effective managerial decisions in the areas of sports marketing, finance, risk management, and human resources. The major combines a solid understanding of core business concepts and a deep knowledge of sports specific competencies to develop in our students the necessary skills and experience to compete for positions in the field of sports management.
Business Program Goals:
- Understand the structure of an organization and processes for managing them.
- Identify and interpret legal and ethical issues in the global business environment.
- Consume and produce quantitative and qualitative information in order to facilitate business and/or economic decision-making.
- Solve business and organizational problems using analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Apply rudimentary concepts from the management of technology discipline to people, process, and technology management challenges in a modern organization.
- Recognize the impact of the global and multi-cultural environment on managing a business.
- Employ oral communication skills to influence a professional audience.
- Demonstrate proficiency in written communications across multiple platforms and purposes.
Sport Management Program Goals:
- Apply fundamental business concepts to the field of sports management
- Demonstrate specific knowledge in the areas of sports management and sports communication.
Core/General Education: 34-55 Credit Hours
Effective for the 2022-2023 academic year, Utica University has implemented a new general education program that replaces Core. Students who are admitted, or readmitted, for the 2022- 2023 academic year or later must follow the requirements of the General Education program. Students admitted prior to the 2022-2023 academic year must follow the requirements of the Core program. For full details of program requirements, see the catalog pages for the Core program and the General Education program. Students with specific questions should consult with their academic adviser or success coach.
- ECN 347 - Economics of Sports (3)
- PRL 182 - Public Relations (3)
- SCM 285 - Sports and The Media (3)
- PRL 372 - Tools, Tactics, and Channels (3)
- MKT 372 - Tools, Tactics, and Channels (3)
- SPM 101 - Introduction to Sports Management (3)
- SPM 105 - Sports Industry Practicum I (1-3)
- SPM 205 - Sports Industry Practicum II (1-3)
- SPM 211 - Sports Marketing (3)
- SPM 305 - Sports Industry Practicum III (1-3)
- SPM 397 - Sports Event Planning and Management (3)
- SPM 405 - Sports Industry Practicum IV (1-3)
- MGT 428 - Strategic Management and Leadership (3)
- SPM 428 - Strategy in Sports Management (3)
- SPM 458 - Sports Law (3)
- SPM 470 - Internship (1 to 12) (must be taken for 3 credits)
3 credit ACC, BUS, ECN, FIN, MGT, MKT, PRL, or SPM elective at the 300 level or higher
- 6 credits of any 300 level or higher course from ACC, BUS, ECN, FIN, MGT, MKT, PRL, or SPM
Students must complete a total of at least 6 credits in Practicum courses (SPM 105, SPM 205, SPM 305, and SPM 405)
|Business Foundation Requirements
|Total Credit Hours Required For Degree