Dec 02, 2023
RN to BSN Option
The Nursing Program offers the RN an opportunity to continue her/his education toward a baccalaureate degree in nursing. Learning experiences are designed to meet the educational, career, and personal needs of each student. New areas of knowledge build upon the student’s educational and clinical experiences.
RN-BSN Program - Special Requirements
Each student is required to meet the following criteria in order to remain in the Nursing Program:
- Students are expected to be aware of prerequisite course requirements. Prerequisites will not be waived.
- A minimum grade of C+ (76.5%) will be required for all nursing courses.
- A student who achieves a grade of less than a C+ in a nursing course has one opportunity to repeat the course. There is no limit to the number of nursing courses that may be repeated but each course can only be repeated once. Failure to achieve the minimum grade of C+ in the repeated course will result in academic dismissal from the nursing program.
- A minimum grade of C will be required for all major related courses.
- A student who achieves a grade of less than a C in a major-related course has one opportunity to repeat the course. There is no limit to the number of major related courses that may be repeated but each course can only be repeated once. Failure to achieve the minimum grade of C in the repeated course will result in academic dismissal from the nursing program.
- Achieve and maintain a minimum cumulative G.P.A of 2.5
- Adhere to Utica University academic rules and regulations (see the undergraduate catalog)
- Students who are placed on academic probation by the College may be suspended or requested to withdraw from the nursing program.
- Students are expected to maintain standards of professional behavior at all times. The student who fails to meet these standards may be subject to dismissal from the College and/or the program. Expected behaviors include but are not limited to:
- Participate in all classes and clinical experiences. In the case of illness or an emergency, the appropriate faculty member must be notified.
- Prepare for class according to course requirements identified in each course syllabus.
- Complete all assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate respect and courtesy toward faculty, staff, and fellow students.
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity in all academic and clinical settings.
- Contribute to the educational growth of self and fellow students.
- Utica University welcomes the physically challenged and in compliance with Section 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and The Americans with Disability Act of 1990 (ADA), does not discriminate on the basis of handicap. Students are responsible to inform the faculty of any need for accommodations as identified by the coordinator of learning services located in Academic support services
- Students may declare a minor. Minors usually require additional 15-21 credits. If a student is interested in declaring a minor, s(he) is encouraged to discuss this with the director.
- It is the responsibility of the student to check Banner (conducting a Degree Evaluation) and make sure all courses are posted. If there is a discrepancy found, please notify the director via e-mail. Instructions for running a Degree Evaluation may be found at: http://www.utica.edu/academic/registrar/Degree_Evaluation_Information_for_Students.pdf
- For graduation requirements see the University catalog. While students transferring into Utica University with an Associates Degree are exempt from most core requirements, New York requires that 60 credits of the bachelor’s degree are courses designated as liberal arts and sciences. To be eligible to graduate, students must have completed the total credits required, including the required nursing courses; the required major related courses; and 60 credits of liberal arts. At least 30 credits must be taken at Utica University to earn the Utica University degree. The Degree Evaluation is the best way to plan and track your own progress.
Department of Nursing Goals
- Liberal Education Foundation: Assimilate theories and concepts from liberal education into generalist foundation practice.
- Leadership: Practice leadership concepts to deliver high quality health care
- Professional Behavior: Incorporate professional standards of moral, ethical, and legal conduct into practice.
- Clinical Competence: Provide safe, competent care across the life-span.
Core/General Education: 34-55 Credit Hours
Effective for the 2022-2023 academic year, Utica University has implemented a new general education program that replaces Core. Students who are admitted, or readmitted, for the 2022- 2023 academic year or later must follow the requirements of the General Education program. Students admitted prior to the 2022-2023 academic year must follow the requirements of the Core program. For full details of program requirements, see the catalog pages for the Core program and the General Education program. Students with specific questions should consult with their academic adviser or success coach.
Major Course Requirements
Major Related Requirements
One from the following group:
*Must be completed prior to transfer
The student must complete sufficient elective courses to earn at least the minimum credit hours required for this degree, and at least 60 credit hours of the 121 required must be in the liberal arts and sciences.
|Major Course Requirements
|Major Related Course Requirements
|Total Credit Hours Required For Degree